Stretching is Important
I am sure you were a lot like be growing up and thought that some basic stretching for 5-10min before working out or practice was sufficient. I did the typical hold for 10 seconds as a loosened up my hamstrings, calfs, quads, triceps, and if I still was not loose I would mix in the good ole trunk twist. Yup, that pretty much did it.
As I have gotten older my body seems to crave stretching more and more, however it is my absolute weakness. Over the last few months I have tried different ways to improve my flexibility and here are a few reasons why stretching is so important.
1.Warm up your muscles: By doing 10min of cardio first. It is easier to stretch warm muscles than it is to stretch cold muscles. This will allow you to get a deeper stretch and push pass previous resistant points.
2. Stretch and hold: For 30 seconds with every 10 seconds taking a deep breath, pulling deeper into the stretch. Again this will allow you to push past those resistant points.
3. Unblock twisted nerves: Stretching straighten out your nerves, which will allow your muscles and brain to have better connectivity and respond quicker.
4. Activate your fast-twitch muscles: Stretching will get these muscles ready to work, which are the muscles responsible for your strength, speed, and power!!
5. Better flexibility = Better balance
6. Loose muscles prevent injuries: Most muscular injuries occur when our bodies react to something unexpected. ie. quick change of direction, jumping, or starting/stopping.
7. Stretching after working out: Will help prevent soreness and stiffness that next day.
Be Bold, Be Strong, Be Blessedblog comments powered by Disqus